Follow Us On Twitter
Kevin Airrington is a professional genealogist & historian with 15+ years experience. Specializing in adoptions - It's Who I Am!™
Genealogy Tip of the Day!
Do You Trust Your Memory?

Are there facts or clues that you are still entrusting to your memory? Never assume that something is “impossible” to forget.  This temptation is greatest when researching a distance away from home. Don’t wait to “write it down later to save time.” It May take a little time during your research trip to write down […]

Each state maintains its own adoption policies so the process can vary considerably for families from state to state. Learn all about the legal guidelines for families adopting in Oregon whether you’re adopting a newborn through domestic private adoption an infant or older child from U.S. foster care adoption or an infant toddler or older child through international adoption. Find answers to the most common questions about Oregon adoptions as well as related articles from the AF archives.

Any person May adopt if at least one of the adopting parents or a consenting birth parent has lived in Oregon for 6 months before filing for adoption.
Can adoptive parents advertise for birth parents?
Yes but only after adoptive parents complete a pre-placement home study.

Can out-of-state residents finalize an adoption?
Yes if birth mother is resident.

Can adopting parents use an adoption facilitator or another paid intermediary?
Yes but only Oregon licensed adoption agencies May be used and payment for services is illegal.

What birthparent expenses May be paid and in what time period?
Medical legal (with time records upon court request) counseling (typically $1000 up to $4000 if payments made through attorney). Reasonable living expenses (rent utilities phone) during pregnancy due to job loss or need. About $100/week in food and misc.; public transportation or gas for medical appointments. $200-$500 in maternity clothes. Direct payments required whenever possible. Birthparent counseling for up to one year postpartum. Living expenses usually approved for up to 4 mos. Financial disclosure affidavit to court required.

Is there a putative father registry?

When can consent to adoption be granted?
Birthmother: any time after birth; birthfather: any time.

When does consent become irrevocable? If consent is revoked is return to birthparent automatic?
Agency adoption: after child is placed; independent adoption: after state requirements are met usually within a few days of placement.

Are post-adoption contact agreements legally enforceable?
Yes but only if the court finds that the enforcing party attempted to mediate the dispute before coming to the court.
Is a foreign adoption decree automatically recognized by the state?
Yes as long as the adoption occurred under the laws of the country in which the child was adopted and at least one of the adopting parents is a U.S. citizen.

Can parents readopt in this state? Is it mandatory?
Not necessary.

When will a U.S. birth certificate be issued?
The State Registrar will issue a U.S. birth certificate of a child adopted in an Oregon court upon receipt of the court’s adoption decree proof of date and place of birth of the child and a request from the court decreeing the adoption the adoptive parents or the adopted person if s/he is 18 years or older.

Are adoption subsidies available? When do they start and how long do they last?
Yes adoption subsidies are available for a special needs child as defined by one of the following: 8 years or older member of a minority group member of a sibling group of 2 or more children being placed together with one sibling 6 years or older member of a sibling group of 3 or more children being placed together has or is at risk for developing a medical physical mental or emotional condition that is professionally diagnosed has recorded history of abuse or neglect has strong emotional ties to foster placement. Starts upon adoption placement but assistance agreement must be complete before adoption finalization.

Where can I learn more about the process of adopting a child from foster care in Oregon?

Human Services Building Adoption Unit 2nd Floor
500 Summer Street NE E-71
Salem OR 97310
(50) 947-5358


Copy Protected by Chetan's WP-Copyprotect.